Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jpaulstra
    Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Just joined today. Thanks. I'm 72, retired and have acquired a Solar 295 arc welder, a Solar DC converter and a Universal arc stabilizer over the years. I finally have time to learn how to TIG weld. I think I have everything I need, Argon, flow meter, TIG torch w/consumibles, etc. My torch has no gas valve but I can regulate it at the meter, right? The reason I'm telling you all this is, I haven't welded since the 60's and then only stick, oxy-acetylene and carbon arc work in a small shipyard. Not meaning to be presumptuous, TIG looks a lot like O-A welding I used to do with a coat hanger. Boy, that takes me back. What are your thoughts and what can I weld with it? Aluminum? Do they make a foot pedal for such a rig? Help, Jim
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi, Jim,

Welcome!

I'd have to do some research on the machine to know if a pedal can be used with it, but my gut reaction is "no".

Of course, you can simply control the argon at the flowmeter, though if you take a liking to TIG, it'll save gas to get a valved torch, or, if you're a tinkerer, rig up a gas solenoid and torch switch.

TIG is similar in many ways to O/A welding, and knowing O/A is a big advantage when learning TIG. With TIG, everything happens faster, so O/A is a great way to learn puddle control in a slower format.

Any DC-weldable metal should be fair game; Carbon steel, stainless, copper, cu-ni, and on... With careful preparation, aluminum can even be welded on DC, though I'll defer to others on that subject, as I've never had the need to do it.

Aluminum can be welded with 60 HZ, but it's not easy, and a helium/argon mix will help, but is hard on the budget. You can, however, add a HF box at some point, which will make aluminum easier and cheaper, as most material to 3/8 can then be welded with straight argon.

Let us know how it goes!

Steve S
jpaulstra
    Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Steve, Thanks for the info. I think the arc welder is DC but what function does the DC converter and arc stabilizer play?
Last edited by jpaulstra on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

From what little I've found so far, the machine is AC output, and the DC converter enables DC stick and TIG welding. Don't know yet, but the "arc stabilizer" may function like a "dig" control, increasing output when you get close, to prevent sticking.

Also there's some confusion about the "295" being a model number, with 250A being the actual max output.

I don't have enough time for serious research, so hopefully someone else here is more familiar with the machine. It's apparently manufactured by Lincoln, but has little support now.

Steve S