Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
countryboy1127
    Wed May 01, 2013 7:28 pm

just wondering if anyone has used an after market torch with the powertig 185 ? i notice the one that came with the machine gets extremely hot when welding . its a wp 17 series torch . any suggestions on brand or other series that could help with this . is it that the torch is to small to handle the amps ?
echosixmike
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

It's an aircooloed torch, rated at 150amps. They are gonna get hot. You really need a water cooled torch for extended welding IMO. S/F....Ken M
Red: PowerMIG 300, Square Wave 175
Blue: DEL200, Syncro250, XMT300
Green: STH160
Black: Tweco 181i Fabricator
Oddball: Craftsman HF unit
countryboy1127
    Wed May 01, 2013 7:28 pm

can I upgrade the torch to a higher amp rating and stay with air cooled. I cant see spending the money for a water cooler and torch for the pt 185 .
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi - some better brands will handle more than 150amps in the 17 series torch style - I'd say any air cooled torch is going to build heat if used for long periods - the 17 should be adequate for your machine unless you run it at close to max for long runs - if so consider buying a WP26 series - all the consumables interchange but the 26 is physically bigger to dissipate more heat - as you say going water cooled is expensive & most likely not necessary.