Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI4bGRqG4F4

Anyone else got any good old school welding digs?
    Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Ok so this one isn't stick welding but it definitely qualifies as bad ass.

Atomic Hydrogen Welding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz-S5wLGHwI
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Oh, THAT was fabulous!

Think of how many of our mothers and grandmothers watched that in 1942, while training to build ships, tanks, jeeps, airplanes, Howitzers...

The information is just as valid today.

Steve S

I think I like the atomic hydrogen even better...

Welding two sections of fine-mesh Monel screen together? Makes razor-blades look like daisies!

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

I could be lost for days on this youtube channel. I have done work for GE before and I recognise the attention to detail, even in their own brand of welding machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW7I-ymfINU

Here is another one, in which thet use some 3/8 dia electrodes. Thats Hard core.

The sad thing is, The amount of effort and pride taken in training of welders shown in these movies, is universes apart from the crud i received during my apprenticeship, and I have heard that it got even worse for a while, but still turned out "tradesmen"

Mick
Vince51
    Sun May 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Awesome videos! I've seen large stick electrodes before. Upwards of 1" in diameter and 4' long. Tried to buy them off the fella, but wouldn't sell. Far as I know they were used in ship construction. Had a tracked machine that fed them. Looked around the net for videos, but none found.
Vince51

Here's some pics I found of 3/4" rod being used to weld a mold. Cool stuff
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (93.43 KiB) Viewed 1808 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (75.41 KiB) Viewed 1808 times

Hey,

Any insight on as to why godzilla stick is used and not subarc, or other processes?

Mick

Mick,

I'm going speculate that sub-arc, with the flux that flows, is restricted to almost dead-flat position butt-joints, while a coated rod will have some position flexibility. In the picture, the fellow appears to be welding an edge, where powdered flux would fall off one side, for example.

I'm not familiar with the current limitations of the sub-arc process, but I'd suppose there is one, beyond which the wire is too heavy to still be "wire" unrolled from a machine beyond extremely expensive dedicated one-task equipment.

Perhaps someone with firsthand knowledge will clear it up for us, or some further research will provide some answers.

Steve S
Vince51

Not sure really. Weldmold makes the rod in the pictures. I'd say a guy could call and ask its advantages over wire fed processes. My guess would be irregular groove shape was a factor. Old man that had the rod I mentioned said 1500 amps was minimum. Subarc seems more welder friendly since its covered. 1500 amps would make a toasty light I imagine.

Vince

Hey, You're right there, it would put out a bit of heat. Im am going to try a little investigating when i get a chance.

Mick

Im on the trail, but the website is not working at the moment. grrrr
    Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:22 am

You won't need any heat in the shop :lol: I seen some interesting process's but this take stick welding to a new level. Great picture.
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

WOW! what an awesome youtube channel! That atomic hydrogen thing seems like a granddaddy to the TIG setup. wasn't it invented in '49?
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
qwerty12
    Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:38 pm

is there full 91 minutes FREE video of this welding film

How to arc weld : tips, tricks and procedures
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

at first i thought the picture with those huge rods was photo-shopped then i vaguely recall seeing a picture of a large diameter welding rod set up on a spring loaded frame welding stiffeners in a ship bottom. the operator had several of them going at the same time.
qwerty12
    Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:38 pm