Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
swadedvm
    Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:37 am

Don't tell my wife I said this but she is a terrible driver. She keeps me busy fixing things all the time. But anyway, my question is this. Several of her wheels on her vehicle have the rim bent from her driving over a concrete curb or something. I don't know for sure, I discovered it not her. They hold air and I don't see any cracks but I know I will have to get new ones soon because I am not sure they will put new tires on them these days. I figured I have two choices, 1: get new wheels or 2: try to fix these. I figured that if the fix didn't work then I am back to my first choice. If it does itcan save me a lot of money. I don't know what alloy they are. I guess long story short is would it be possible to nudge the bend out of the rim. When I say bend it is folded over some no apparent disforming of the shape or roundness, Like she slid off of a curb. If when I nudge the fold out and it does crack would that be weldable to correct the machine or file smooth again to be functionable? How would be the best possible way to bend it back to minimize the chance of cracking at that fold
Any help would be great
I am not saying I would be doing the welding. I want to know the best way to try to straighten the fold and if it doesn't work if I can still salvage the wheel
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey mate,

Wheel repair happens every day, but takes a bit of special know how, and some special equipment, (not so much in the welding, but the after treatment.) Have a look on Youtube, or do a google search for wheel repair.

Mick
swadedvm
    Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:37 am

thanks for the info. I will check it out