Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Artisan
    Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:01 pm

i have a miller syncrowave 200 and i was wondering what tungsten would i use to weld 1/16 thick aluminum piping. Ive read a couple articles that state use pure tungsten for transformer based machines and use lanthanted and thoriated for inverter based. Seems like everyone has different results. I read that jody says to use lanthanated that its pretty much the same as long as the tungsten is rounded at the tip. I currently have 3/32 1.5% lanthanated tunsten with a 3/32 gas lens. would this do the job? or should i just use 1/16 pure tungsten with a 1/16 gas lens to do butt welds? which tungsten is better for my welder and would give me the cleanest welds? thx
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

If your base metal thickness is 1/16", then you should use a 1/16" electrode at about 60-90 amps and about 15 cfh gas and a 1/16" filler rod and either a 5/16" or 3/8" cup. As for whether to use pure or lanthanated, try both on a piece of scrap and see which works best for you. I, myself would use the lan. Hope this helps.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
Artisan
    Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:01 pm

ya ill do that, so just round the end on the lanth right? cant use a point since i have a transformer machine correct?
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Yes. With the transformers, a point won't stay very long on AC. Go with the Lanth. and ground to a short taper and a flat tip and run a bead on some scrap to ball the end. It won't ball like pure will, but it will ball.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator