mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Ward Cheney
    Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:40 am

I just watched the mig welding uphill on the broken fork lift brace. Since I'm a novice to intermediate welder, a simple question: Any thoughts about why Jody (if you are there, please explain) welded that with mig instead of, say, stick?

That's an easy one. I am relocating to a different shop and the mig was the only machine available that day. All other machines had been moved out
7018 Stick would have been a good choice and probly the best choice.

Best

Jody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Hey Jody,
What mig machine were you using??

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

A millermatic 250 that needed a new liner bad. It had been sitting unused for 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kinda figured, seeing the blue gun.
Good thing you didn't youse a little machine!!!!
That's some thick steel.
Great vid as usual, thanks Jody.

~John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Personally I'd have probably used 8018 or 11018 for that. Most likely the 11018 since I have some in the rod oven anyways.
Great tensile strength and ductility. Overkill? Maybe but I'd rather err on the side of over than under. Any filler metal that can withstand the pressures of a few hundred feet of seawater is A-OK with me. ;) :D 8-)

Overkill is often an underrated achievement....

~John :D

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Ward Cheney
    Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:40 am

Thanks for the reply, and for the various suggestions about stick options.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

As Jody stated, his choice of process this time was determined by what was available (What wasn't packed and in mid-move to the new shop). Sometimes, that's what the choice comes down to... What do I have that'll work?

He also agreed that stick would likely have been a better choice in this case. Again, work with what you have, within your ability. I'm quite certain if Jody had felt he couldn't do the job properly with the MIG, he'd have turned it down. After all, your weld is your signature, and you want people to trust your signature.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:....After all, your weld is your signature, and you want people to trust your signature.

Steve S
AMEN!!!
-Jonathan
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Isn't 19.5v a little low for that job? Shouldn't it of been around at least 21.5-22v for something that thick and structural?
Keep in mind I mainly tig and don't mig much of anything. So just curious.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

gamble wrote:Isn't 19.5v a little low for that job? Shouldn't it of been around at least 21.5-22v for something that thick and structural?
Keep in mind I mainly tig and don't mig much of anything. So just curious.
Controlling the heat affected zone is part of the equation in this weld. Additionally, with .035 wire and multiple passes, I'd think one would have more control over the edges, for complete tie-in.

Again, the key is making the most of what you have available. This weld could be done with a 100A Harbor-freight crackerbox, with the right rod.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

The piece that Jody welded back in place does add any significant amount of structural integrity to a boom on a forklift. It's main job is to maintain the space between the two channels that the rollers run in. We have three different models of forklifts at work and I looked at all of them today and each one just has a single pass weld on that same piece.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len