Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
tomkp
    Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:03 pm

OK. So I was trying my hand at tig welding aluminum, neither of which I've done before. I don't know how to adjust the settings. In all of the reading that I've done, there seems to be no consistency. I am trying to reach out to those that actually do this. In the pix that I have attached are the pieces that my shop has. Hand controls, no foot control for the torch. HF 251 D, trailblazer 302D and WC 24 (for aluminum MIG). Trying to understand the settings. I am told that on the HF box, I should max it and put it on START not continuous, and switch to remote (then use my thumb control to fine tune). On the generator, I should be 150-200 amps and on a/c. And I do not use the WC 24 for tig. Am I correct on all of this? Please, any of those that can help, I take all suggestions.
Attachments
IMAG1051.jpg
IMAG1051.jpg (103.29 KiB) Viewed 577 times
IMAG1050.jpg
IMAG1050.jpg (100.96 KiB) Viewed 577 times
IMAG1049.jpg
IMAG1049.jpg (58.71 KiB) Viewed 577 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Tom,

First, you should be on "continuous" HFAC for aluminum....

Steve S
tomkp
    Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:03 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Welcome, Tom,

First, you should be on "continuous" HFAC for aluminum....

Steve S
Thanx. Now with tig, your current is adjusted by amp settings correct? I had someone else tell me that I should Max the amperage on my machine.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

If you're using the remote, then, yes, crank up the machine. Whether you want "max" or not depends on the thickness you're welding, but, starting out, for anything 1/8" and over I'd max it at the machine. It takes a lot of heat to get the weld started.

Steve S
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:If you're using the remote, then, yes, crank up the machine. Whether you want "max" or not depends on the thickness you're welding, but, starting out, for anything 1/8" and over I'd max it at the machine. It takes a lot of heat to get the weld started.

Steve S
I think if he is only doing 1/8", max on that welder would require him to rotate that thumb wheel down pretty fast :shock:

150-200 should be enough I would think :)

Edit: I'm wrong, just looked up the specs - it only maxed out at 225 AC - listen to Steve :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I seem to remember Lanse & his mate Pete did a couple of videos Tig welding from a trailblazer - maybe worth a look on YouTube - think he ran through machine settings.