Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Nizztos
    Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:48 am

I'm a noob welder and since I weld infrequently my improvement rate is slow.

I have two things that gives me a headache every time I do them and I was hoping that there were some "tricks of the trade" where one can minimize the bad things that go wrong...

What are some good ways to handle tubing? Currently trying to weld 25mm (1 inch) aluminum tubes and while the bits end up holding together the process is anything but streamlined. What position is the ideal when welding tubes? Of course the geometry of the tubes might prevent that position but it would still be good to know. I think that my main issues are that I have a hard time keeping a consistent distance making me contaminate the tip and I also get the angle of the torch wrong as I go. It seems that even knowing this I can't seem to fix it.

The other type of weld that makes me use words not fit for print is inside corners. Poor penetration and hard to get the puddle to "gap" the two pieces.

Any tips suited for a beginner appreciated.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I believe most of your frustration will go away with time. Even telling someone how to do it still you have to learn how to translate what is said to your hands and mind.
First what machine are you using and what tungsten. This wil allow us to help you with your setup. To practice pipe I would suggest cutting two say 6" pieces and coping one into the other forming a "t" laying this flat on the table and starting on the inside joint moving from bottom up, will teach you control of distance,travel speed, and hand positioning. Weld your saddle joint in 4 attempts and when you master this practice, clamp it above you at various angles like Jody has done in past videos.
If you have a inverter, sharpen your tungsten to a point and stick the tungsten out, say 3/8". This will allow you to very into the joint and focus your are there instead of on the sides. Play with stick out and if you do not already have one, get a gas lens setup.
Food for thought.
Jonathan
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Welding small tubes is one of the toughest things to do, so as a newb I can see your frustration. It takes hours and hours and hours and tankfuls and tankfuls and tankfuls of practice for you to get it right. There is no substitute for that. Set small goals. Weld only 1/6 or 1/5 of the circumference of the tube and make it a point to say to yourself "I will maintain constant arc length and maintain proper torch angle". The instant you see the arc "flare off" the tube and looking like an oxy-acet flame (even the tiniest bit) is when you need to stop and start over. It is very frustrating but it's the only way to get things done, as no one else can transfer their muscle memory into your body/brain.
Nizztos
    Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:48 am

@Jonathan:
I'm not nearly that advanced :) I'm just trying to join a pipe cut in two.
Machine is a chinese 200A inverter (with more settings than most) and the tungsten I use are gray and red (although I notice no difference between them). Colour codes might be different here as well.

@Oscar:
Well, if it is that hard then I don't feel bad at all. I will just practice a bit more :) I do think that the best thing for me to do is to be quicker to back of when the arc turns green or when I hear sputtering. I try to stop but it takes a few seconds for that signal to be processed by my brain. Luckily this is the type of work where I can just cut things off and restart when things go completely out of hand. Me being slow to lift off might be a contributing factor as well because I'm not sure I'm able to clean all the soot out once it starts making the next pass start of as badly as the previous one ended.

Now if someone can just add that an inside corner is the second hardest weld I would be a happy man :)
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Actually a inside corner joint or "T" is pretty hard with tig. I had someone that was wanting to learn to tig aluminum and was determined to start with a t joint. I was finally able to show and convene him to start on plate doing the aluminum drill and he progressed well.
-Jonathan
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Nizztos wrote:@Jonathan:
I'm not nearly that advanced :) I'm just trying to join a pipe cut in two.
Machine is a chinese 200A inverter (with more settings than most) and the tungsten I use are gray and red (although I notice no difference between them). Colour codes might be different here as well.

@Oscar:
Well, if it is that hard then I don't feel bad at all. I will just practice a bit more :) I do think that the best thing for me to do is to be quicker to back of when the arc turns green or when I hear sputtering. I try to stop but it takes a few seconds for that signal to be processed by my brain. Luckily this is the type of work where I can just cut things off and restart when things go completely out of hand. Me being slow to lift off might be a contributing factor as well because I'm not sure I'm able to clean all the soot out once it starts making the next pass start of as badly as the previous one ended.

Now if someone can just add that an inside corner is the second hardest weld I would be a happy man :)
As opposed to simply keeping at it on small tubes, try larger tubes because it will help you maintain the torch angle better. Then over the course of weeks as you progress, drop down in tube size 1/16" at a time.