Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Has anyone ever seen plastic plugs that can be screwed into the ends of a tig torch for when it is not in use. I have a few torches that when not in use would like to cover ends to help keep dirt or spiders from entering torch head have not had problem yet but would like to cover the ports just in case.

I found some threaded size plugs online that would work but they in bulk at 1000 a time. Dont need that many. Hoping someone seen a kit or assortment somewhere that would work
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

No, but that's a really good thought.

I'm curious what the specs would look like - do you need to cover the front and rear of the head? Would that be one part that does both, or 2 pieces that thread in from each side? What about the hose end of the torch, or the open end of the gas fitting?

Short-term, a baggie + rubber band comes to mind, but I can see why something more robust would be nice.

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Aluminum foil works really good...
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

This what i thought might work good would need 2 for each side of torch plus cap for flared gas fitting that hooks to machine. company has lot different sizes but it all sold in bulk. Gonna try to call monday see if they will sell indivdually

http://www.mocap.com/threaded-plastic-p ... tings.html

9,20 torches are 5/16-24 thread
17,18,26 torches are 3/8-32 thread
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

The easiest solution for the business end was staring you in the face,2 short back caps.one each side
blue tac in the gas fitting is what I use
Dancing with the blue lady
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

The torches are normally easy to find BSP thread so any local plumbing / air / hydraulic / injection pump place will have them by the box full as they will fit them to any open port on things they supply or repair - just call into one around mid morning with donuts / biscuits - you'd be surprised how well this works !
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I have a ton of these caps. Let me look on Monday and I will send you some if I have the correct size.
-Jonathan
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

wheresmejumper wrote:The easiest solution for the business end was staring you in the face,2 short back caps.one each side
blue tac in the gas fitting is what I use
No, no, no... I can't use something conveniently already in my welding kit - that preempts crafting a Rube Goldberg solution. :lol: (I just tried this and, of course, a small back cap threads perfectly into the front of the torch.)
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!