Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
    Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Hello Fellas,
I've been a hobbyist for 20+ yrs and preform tig work on titanium castings for a living. Thick,big,heavy pour it on type of stuff.
Sheet metal work is what I want to get a handle on. Thin, build up some welding skills so sheet metal doesn't warp uncontrollably. Have studies, purchased material, tooling, welders and looking to get into a Dynasty 200dx if the planets ever align. Most importantly practiced making sheet metal wall sculptures, abstract to mountain scapes. This has really helped learn cause and effect of heat. Now if I could only get a feel for laying it all out so everything stays flat. Sheet metal body panels on my truck project.
Long ago I started out with a Lincoln sp100 outfitted with .025 Lincoln electric wire. Think its refereed to as -7 wire. Still have it. Also have the Millermatic 211 with .030 both run argon/CO2, and the Syncrowave 180SD tig that is fun to dink around with.
I follow a few build threads on some truck forums on sheet metal work and have learned a lot. Actual hands on practice time is what I need most/ try this, try that.
Have watched countless YT vids on the sheet metal subject too.
Thats about it for now Fellas,
Thanks
Bomp aka Greg
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Bomp welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Bomp,

It sounds like you have easily as much to share as you may wish to ask.

That's how we like it... :D

Steve S
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

If I'm not mistaken the 280DX being a newer design is capable of lower and higher settings than the venerable 200DX.

Bill Beauregard wrote:If I'm not mistaken the 280DX being a newer design is capable of lower and higher settings than the venerable 200DX.
Thanks for the info Bill B. This is whats sooo great about this place. I've been to the local welding shop several times inquiring about various machines and not a peep mentioned about anything comparable or updated. And Im a serious customer, bought many machine there.
One introduction and BOOM.... great info given. Thank you.
Been looking around for an inverter machine, collecting info (and saving up all that cash). Now for more interweb searchin and YT vids.

Thanks again.
Bomp aka Greg
Bill Beauregard

Weld quality might make the difference between being chosen for a paying job, or being a hobbyist. A cheap TIG welder might be good enough for a hobbyist. In my case I longed to have the welder capable of the best weld. I don't have the skill level of a few experts turning out show quality work with primitive transformer machines. As they typically have 20-40 years of all day in the seat, I won't live long enough to catch up. The Dynasty 280DX gives me an edge. Cheap TIG welders are a waste of money! After buying one, and finding it won't meet your needs, you still need to find the money for the Dynasty.
I was looking over some aluminum bleachers newly purchased. On back to back crossed 3" channel the welder had made two fillets at each joint. They were consistent, a big blob at the start, irregular dime spacing, tapering to the end where each ended in a big crater. Each weld had considerable sooting at the beginning, and sooting along a wide etching margin. I don't want the public to see a weld that looks like this.

Bill Beauregard wrote: ...I was looking over some aluminum bleachers newly purchased. On back to back crossed 3" channel the welder had made two fillets at each joint. They were consistent, a big blob at the start, irregular dime spacing, tapering to the end where each ended in a big crater. Each weld had considerable sooting at the beginning, and sooting along a wide etching margin. I don't want the public to see a weld that looks like this.
That poor bastard might well have had decent equipment, but he's in a "sweatshop" environment, with a whip-cracking "hurry-up" supervisor, and making $12-$14/hr if he's lucky. That's the nature of production-work today, where the Chinese will build them (also as fast as possible) for less than that $12/hr guy pays in taxes.

"Free Trade ain't free."

Steve S
Bill Beauregard

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Bill Beauregard wrote: ...I was looking over some aluminum bleachers newly purchased. On back to back crossed 3" channel the welder had made two fillets at each joint. They were consistent, a big blob at the start, irregular dime spacing, tapering to the end where each ended in a big crater. Each weld had considerable sooting at the beginning, and sooting along a wide etching margin. I don't want the public to see a weld that looks like this.
That poor bastard might well have had decent equipment, but he's in a "sweatshop" environment, with a whip-cracking "hurry-up" supervisor, and making $12-$14/hr if he's lucky. That's the nature of production-work today, where the Chinese will build them (also as fast as possible) for less than that $12/hr guy pays in taxes.

"Free Trade ain't free."

Steve S
That was insensitive of me. I am aware that me spending my disposable income on something I resent calling a hobby, and spending an embarrassingly large sum on equipment because I want to be good like you and a few others is a long way from the reality of production weldors. It might be true that a whopping majority of production weldors are not well paid, well trained, or well equipped. I do think that the production weldors making just over minimum wage, and participating in this forum participate because they want a better situation. I think there are 10 active forum participants who don't want to improve, that because they are at the top of their game. You, Zap, and about eight others are at a level of skill 90% of the forum members seek to be. The rest of us can't log 60,000 hours perfecting our craft. We need to "cheat" with nice equipment. When Jody says he isn't interested in better equipment, because there is a better way, I'll reconsider.

Bill,

I hope you didn't misinterpret what I meant in my comment.

My point was about how many jobs in welding are basic production work, where the job itself will limit how far you can improve your skills. High-speed "bang it out" work will teach you one process, in one position.

There are many jobs that want you to weld "Tab A to Slot B" for thirty years, and retire making a few dollars more than when you started.

That's why this forum exists. To give hope for more, and help to get there.

Us old farts can trade welding stories all day, but that helps no one.

Steve S
Bill Beauregard

Amen! I agree with everything but the last sentence. Even rambling from an expert can benefit a student.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Ok, I think we have officially hijacked this thread so I will add. I had this conversation with a few weldors yesterday about how these new machines, when set by someone who is familiar with them, can actually make a beginner or hobbyist look better than they are at that time. As a product of the new age, I love new machines and their technology!

Bill, who are the other 8? :lol: JK, I wouldn't say anyone here does not want to improve. Funny thing is you might look up to Steve but I also look up to you and I am surely not the only one. Those who are very active here (you know who you are) I think all of us look forward to what each other say. Don't take that wrong that I don't like others posts as well. Just making a point. No offenses implied at all to anyone.
-Jonathan

Thanks for the comments guys.
True the world isn't fair and I do feel blessed with the job I have.
The 'real' job I have (tig welding) requires to maintain a high level of quality. Parts get penetrant tested and xrayed and other assorted tests.

On buying the best machine for home hobby and side jobs (not related to work) I believe that does give a person an edge but having that edge doesn't necessarily make you a better welder.
I know Im not in the top 90% but strive to get there. I do believe the Dynasty 280 will help me learn to better my craft that much faster. I know how to tig, do that for a living but when getting into thin material I need more practice.
Im also thinking of when the time comes for passing my equipment on. I die, they get it, use it, sell it, throw it away, whatever.

Are there any other machines out there any of you prefer other than the Dynasty?

Thanks
Bomp aka Greg
Bill Beauregard

No......