General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Idk maybe it's just working with exotic metals or the fact it don't sound easy but I've been thinking about gettin a career in aerospace welding...Does anyone know what kind of stuff they want when hiring for something like that...other than a drug test of course! Lol! Thanks
Adam's Got Skills

Guess not...
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Adam,
I hope for your sake that you have a longer attention span than that, it's not been a full 24 hrs. since you posted the question. We have a few Aerospace welders who contribute here, but they're not sitting and waiting with baited breath to answer questions. Give it some time, we still have people answering questions from 2009. :lol: It takes some of us an hour and a half to watch sixty-minutes. :D

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Search function much? I've answered this before, but here it is again.

I had to certify in aws 17.1 in: titanium, inconel, stainless, aluminum, and Haynes 188 in both .030 & .080
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Adam,
There are in fact several members here that can help. One is Wes917 here in Ohio, will see if I can get him to help you out.
Len is right, patience my son.
-Jonathan

Beat me to it Wes917!!!
-Jonathan
Wes917

While on the job I also learned eb weld and running automatics. All that helps to
Wes917

Superiorwelding wrote:Beat me to it Wes917!!!
-Jonathan
Lol. It's funny how things change. Two years ago I was a boilermaker on the rail, the aerospace a year, then nuke for a bit, now I write procedures and such. Someone bet me yesterday since I don't weld every day any more I can't still weld razor blades together. Not the .020 ones the .009 ones. Guess who won a case of beer and a 2lb spool of .023 308 :)

Wes917 wrote:
Superiorwelding wrote:Beat me to it Wes917!!!
-Jonathan
Lol. It's funny how things change. Two years ago I was a boilermaker on the rail, the aerospace a year, then nuke for a bit, now I write procedures and such. Someone bet me yesterday since I don't weld every day any more I can't still weld razor blades together. Not the .020 ones the .009 ones. Guess who won a case of beer and a 2lb spool of .023 308 :)
Lets see the pics!! Sounds like I have a new challenge!
-Jonathan
Wes917

I'll get some in the am, I'll have weld some more left them there. Did some flat and some on edge. 1/16 to a polished point and .023 308l. Would prefer 309 but that's what we could get on short notice
Adam's Got Skills

thanks for the reply...Id gotten a lil mixed up id posted somethin else a few days earlier an guess i got em mixed up. I mean I've looked into aws 17.1 but can't exactly find anywhere near me that does the qualification. An Im also trying to find some kind of schooling or training but not really sure about that either. I've found some videos...an looked at some articles an then noticed that jody had written one. Im really kind of curious if it's a job someone would recommend? Im really just trying to develop like a goal for my future an then plan how Im gonna reach my goal. I really like fabricating an repairing stuff. Im also trying to understand how much exp an schooling it takes to get hired in aerospace or if they train u?
Wes917

When I hired on I only had my stainless, aluminum, and steel 3f certs, no 17.1's. work trained me because I passed their entrance test. How good of training will depend on where you go, everywhere is different. If you show a passion and eagerness to learn, you will, the right attitude will take you far. It's a good career and will look good on your résumé if you decide to move on. Gl
Adam's Got Skills

That'd b really cool cuz I have a great attitude toward learning an Im always early to work!
Wes917

Attitude and work ethic go a long way. We had a guy started on the bench, never tigged before, showed an interest. He would stay late, come in early and pick our brains. We showed him the basics, work sent him to school then we got him certified. Started him off slow and now he's doing all the jobs. He got his shot bc of his work ethic. When hiring I'll take a guy that needs some training but has the right attitude over a guy who can come in right away and work but has a $(:/ty attitude.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Wes917 wrote:Attitude and work ethic go a long way. We had a guy started on the bench, never tigged before, showed an interest. He would stay late, come in early and pick our brains. We showed him the basics, work sent him to school then we got him certified. Started him off slow and now he's doing all the jobs. He got his shot bc of his work ethic. When hiring I'll take a guy that needs some training but has the right attitude over a guy who can come in right away and work but has a $(:/ty attitude.
Can you imagine the workforce, if everyone took this approach, and every job seeker knew it?

We'd be back to being the strongest nation in minutes!

Instead, many of our job seekers look for the "minimum to get by", and live their lives from one paycheck to the next. And BITCH because Burger King doesn't pay $15.

Sad.
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

I want to see these razor blade pics, I use welded blades as business cards, I also use a 1/8" tungsten to weld em on edge.
Adam's Got Skills

Steve I definitely get what ur saying. I'm a young guy...least i like to think (Im 29) an i guess Im lucky cuz my parents always pushed me to always work toward my goals...Not just sit on ur butt an wait for someone to pay ur way for nothing! It's like my generation an younger just expect their parents to take care of em their whole life. Several young guys i met at work were gettin fired cuz they were only on time 3 days outta 15 in one guys case. I don't get it how u gonna live if u can't get ur but to work...an just as important get somethin done
Wes917

forrestderp wrote:I want to see these razor blade pics, I use welded blades as business cards, I also use a 1/8" tungsten to weld em on edge.
Pics are here

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=5859