Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Raffus
    Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:38 pm

What causes this
Everlast 210 ext.
setup
130 amps
Ac balance 30
Ac frequency (hz) 120
30 scfh argon
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.39 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.39 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Looks like a shielding issue to me. Its happening at about the same time in the run so maybe something is heating up and loosening up allowing argon loss or air in. Just go through your whole argon line from cylinder to arc and you will find it.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I agree. If all is well, then you suddenly get pepper "sprinkled" into the bead, oxygen is making its way onto the puddle, somehow.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Torch angle.

If you're planting your wrist in one spot to weld all that, and changing your torch angle so you don't have to move your hand to finish, you're likely getting too steep an angle at the end, and drawing air into the weld with your gas flow.

Just one of many possibilities.

Steve S
angus
  • angus

gas is high unless he's using a large cup. hardly any discernible haz on the left. hard to make out the right.

were those two spots with the craters, starts? did you get a new rod at that point.

what size nozzle?

what was the piece sitting on?
Raffus

Using a 9 stubby with gas lens. I am new to aluminum but I've made a ton of successful beads pretty much all positions except 6g and over head. I was trying to fix a small part and now I got a lot more work on my hands. Just ran those quick for a picture. Thanks I'll check gas lines ect. In the am.
angus
  • angus

wp9 torch, why? maybe you smoked it. i'm almost willing to bet you cooked that thing.
get a 17 at least.
your gas is too high.
it doesn't look like you have run a lot of aluminum. no offense.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

As someone said once, when the inside of a torch starts melting, it off gasses into the shielding gas, causing the proverbial s#$& storm.
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

Raffus wrote:What causes this
Everlast 210 ext.
setup
130 amps
Ac balance 30
Ac frequency (hz) 120
30 scfh argon
Gas flow! At the start of the welds-you didn't have enough pre-flow. Don't know what welder you are using-but you need to set your pre-flow up. Also turn your gas flow down. Too much gas is as bad as too little gas. You are creating turbulance at 30 cfh.
Raffus

9 cup. 17 torch
Raffus

Found it. O ring on back cap was split.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

There are many adages that don't always ring true. Two that will always ring true; oil will leak, TIG torches will leak.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Bill Beauregard wrote:There are many adages that don't always ring true. Two that will always ring true; oil will leak, TIG torches will leak.
Ha Ha, well put, Bill!
(And they do!)
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc