Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
GripFab
    Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:20 pm

Hello, I'm Rick (31) from Chicago suburbs.

I'll briefly tell you a bit about myself but, the main purpose for this thread is to track progress in regards to my learning this welding process as well as a place to put my random welding pictures.. Everyone loves pictures!!

Welding/Fabricating has always been a hobby of mine but, I recently stepped into the world of TIG. One of my new years resolutions was to learn a new skill and Jody's videos were such an inspiration that I decided to make the investment/commitment to purchase a machine. After much research, I went with a Miller Syncrowave 210. It seems like I could have got the same capability for less money in a different machine but, buying blue just felt right. I wanted to do it right the first time and be good to go for the long run. My new Miller TIG and the ol' SnapOn MIG..

I picked up all sorts of gear including a tig finger and stubby gas lens kits from weldmonger. I got the rest of my gear/equipment from cyberweld and that worked out pretty well for me.

I'm going to get some hood time and hopefully i'll be half as good as some of you veterans some day.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
GripFab
    Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:20 pm

I was able to achieve some cool stuff with the welder tonight.. This is less than 3hrs with torch in hand.

These are some attempts at joining 3/16" mild steel rod..no filler, 100a, 1.5pps

This is .030" stainless plate.. One is a lap joint and then I sort of boxed in a few pieces.. Turned out pretty ok I think for how thin it is and how noob I am.. Thats an m3 nut.. No filler, 50a but 3/4 pedal, 1pps

Then I welded some old 303SS & 6061AL parts together.. The diameter I welded is about .250" I'm pleased with the aethetics of the SS weld in this pic.. Sexy!

I experimented & scraped a lot of material in the making of these pics. I'm much more a fan of dealing with steel than aluminum. The mild steel rod I got came in less scummy than the stainless rod I got. Its usually the other way around. Either way, progress!

Edit: hmm, weird photo cropping.. Maybe the pics are too big
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Looks like you have a handle on it. I recently stepped back into the TIG arena after a 15 year leave and I really do enjoy it. I found feeding rod a bit awkward at first but I play guitar so my left hand remembered and caught right up. You will get tons of help from the good people here. Like your icarry sticker on your tractor! 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.