General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
anasttin
    Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:24 am

Hi all,

I posted this question on another forum but didn't get a response so I'd appreciate any help I can get.

I just bought an old arc welder at at a second hand sale and want to try welding an old trailer back together this...do I need a facemask or are weld glasses like these http://www.workplacesafetywarehouse.com ... ding-1.htm okay.

Also, what's the difference between the shade 3 and the shade 5 glasses and which should I get (if glasses are okay)?

If I need a full face mask, can anyone point me in the right direction of a reasonable one that isn't too expensive?

Thanks a bunch for any help in advance.

Terry
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey mate, you will need a full mask. Those glasses are merely glorified sunnies. Number 1 question. The smaller the number, the clearer or lighter the shade. 3=sunnies 5= gas welding and cutting and 10 upwards = electric arc welding.
2. You have 2 main options. 1, a "passive lens" that is just coloured glass that is dark all the time. These are available in many shades and a few different colours that aid vision. Also you can get wide vision ones that have bigger lenses in them. Or you can get an "auto darkening filter" firstly its important to realise that not all these are equally. You have dead cheap rubbish and really high end with everything in between. They use light sensitivity technology to sense the arc when you start welding to make the liquid chystals Change from 'clear'(shade 5generally) to dark. Which is anything from shade 9 to 13. Go into a welding supplies store and have a look around, you will be able to get a good home use one for around 100 bucks. You will not require anymore than that, so do let yourself be talked into buying a dear one. I see you are in Australia, so a BOC, UNIMIG OR WIA Blue mask would do fine. Good luck.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Glad you asked for help! You wouldn't have lasted with those shades long enough to get a sunburn. If you get flashed a few times you will know how dangerous the light from the arc actually is. Good luck and be safe!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Well, not sure what other site you posted on, but I bet you got an earful. Welding on trailers that go down the highway and have the potential to kill innocent people when the welds fail is not a good project for learning to weld on.
Be smart about it. Post pics of your practice welds for critique. Asks lots of question and learn from the advice and Jody's videos.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Terry.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Millertim
    Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:42 pm

Excellent point southpaw.