Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Well I have to say that I'm very surprised and little disappointed.

I read this guide from Miller's site:

"Figure 7A shows discoloration on a stainless steel weld caused by overheating, which not only affects a material’s color, but degrades its corrosion resistance and mechanical properties as well. Unfortunately, once this error is made, there is nothing that can be done to fix it except for scrapping the part and starting over. To prevent overheating, reduce amperage, slightly increase travel speed or shorten the arc length. If your welding equipment features pulsing capabilities, now is the time to learn how to use them. Pulsing reduces heat input, and it offers excellent control of the weld puddle. Figure 7B shows proper coloration of stainless."
[http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/ar ... e-graphic/]

7A

7B

Now I understand why people in States relies so much on surface color. I would too, if my studies would base only to this knowledge like this. Don't get me wrong. It's always better to get as little color as possible... but telling to toss part due to surface color. That is a very strong statement and I couldn't agree less.

There is absolutely no reason for tossing your part, if you color is something else than pretty pink or like that. Stainless steel is not active metal like Titanium is. Yes corrosion resistance is lowered once stainless is reacted with oxygen in high temperatures. This reaction will make two layers on top of the stainless surface. One very chromium rich layer and underneath that chromium poor layer. This happens due to diffusion of chromium. In other words chromium diffuses faster than other elements. like iron for example.
[Pickling and passivating of stainless steel. Page 8-9. http://www.euro-inox.org/]
Weld.png
Weld.png (17.9 KiB) Viewed 805 times
[Practical guidelines for the fabrication of high performance austenitic stainless steels. Euro Inox. Page 58. http://www.euro-inox.org/]

Well this layer must be removed either with polishing or pickling for example! Because chromium rich layer is very porous and won't protect stainless steel from rusting. Notice that pickling actually removes material too. This is often misunderstood and that's why there is maximum pickling times for each alloy groups.
weld 2.png
weld 2.png (259.04 KiB) Viewed 805 times
[Practical guidelines for the fabrication of high performance austenitic stainless steels. Euro Inox. Page 59. http://www.euro-inox.org/]

This was just a quick 30 min write up, so this won't include more specific metallurgical facts etc. However I hope it will help welders like me to understand what is good weld and what is not.
-Markus-
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

The top picture had far more greying of the surrounding base metal, and that's the issue here, in my eyed. I have heard of scrapping overheated parts.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Agree Mike
The HAZ was very large, presumably done quite deliberately for the purpose of the exercise.
Trevor
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I do understand Markus's point however...color does not say it is a quality weld, guys can get to caught up on color.

Obviously the first HAZ is very wide and was way to hot.

Here's a weld I did the other night, 1/16" tung, 48-50amps, 8 cup gas lens, 60pps, 316L .065" sanitary with argon back purge. There is nothing wrong with this weld at all, once pickled and polished it will pass any test and still have the corrosion resistance it requires. I'll have to post a pic tomorrow of the same material using my jumbo gas saver or actually does change the color a little bit with the extra argon coverage.
Attachments
As welded
As welded
IMG_20150213_214359674.jpg (42.19 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Pickled and polished
Pickled and polished
IMG_20150215_242111864_HDR.jpg (30.04 KiB) Viewed 750 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Nice work Rick!
You'd be pleased with that for sure.
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc