Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

First attempt at welding a header flange to stainless tubing. Any pointers on how much heat . 3/8 flange to .065 tubing.
Thanks John.
Attachments
DSCN0737 (2).JPG
DSCN0737 (2).JPG (58.21 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi, John,

I'll move this to the TIG forum...

Nice weld, BTW!

Steve S
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Looks good... I usually run some small 1/2" or so stitches on the outside and fully weld and polish out the inside.

I do quite a few sets of headers, turbo and an or blower it is very hard to not have a stainless flange warp. I made a jig out of thick alum to bolt the header down to then weld the stubs (beginning pieces of the header tubes). This helps a great deal, I pulse the inner with 60-100 pulses, 60amps and use .035" filler rod.

Preheating the flanges can help so you can keep the amps lower as you weld. I have found at times you still have the face the flanges after welding.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Hollywood1

Thanks Steve and Rick! Learning more each day. Very happy I joined the forum.
Hollywood1

Rick are you just stiching in four places? What settings on welder for the stiching? Thanks for all the help. John