Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Johnstra
    Sat May 09, 2015 7:35 pm

Hi guys,
I am new to your forum and would appreciate you help in explaining what the settings and how to set my TIG for aluminium welding.
I have played around with them and it is not welding to bad but I am get some black junk in the weld.
I attach a photo of the front panel and hope that you can assist me in fine tuning this beast.
I am using a foot controller
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.11 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Johnstra
Welcome to the forum

It's better if you have the machine powered up, this way we can see what your amps are set to.

What size plate are you welding?

What amps do you have set?

What is your preparation method (nothing, SS brush, Acetone?)

You mentioned black junk in the weld. Does this look like black pepper spots, or much worse?

It might be simple enough to increase the AC balance (this increases the cleaning action), The trade off is that it's also harder on the tungsten electrode (it gets hotter).

What tungsten are you using (Thoriated, Ceriated, Lantahnated, Zirconiated?)

Which terminal is connected to the torch, and which terminal to the job?

What is your gas flow set to, and exactly what gas are you using?

Can you also send a photo of the weld?

All of this is important information to help diagnose. Sorry to reply with more questions than answers, but the more information you can give, the better others can diagnose and provide accurate feedback.

Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Johnstra

Hi Trev,
Yes is is the clean width area setting or I guess ac balance on some machines, however not sure where to set the pulse frequency and duty, maybe I don't have to worry about them too much for AC welding, after playing around I have it going pretty good but would still like to know a bit more about the other dials mate.

Regards
Ross
Johnstra

Sorry but using acetone and a stainless wire brush makes a big difference and the welds came up better by increasing the clean with area setting
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Great
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Backsheddave
    Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:46 am

Looking at the photo, I'd set the pre flow gas to just above zero, one second is all you will need, the rest is just a waste of gas.
Will be interested on how you get on with the welder, since I have purchased one the same, but with the brand name Jasic on the side of it.
Enjoy :)
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

How do y'all like these welders, and what did they cost you?
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press