Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

0adce7bf80fbd4c3fbea55bccccf4c4f.jpg
0adce7bf80fbd4c3fbea55bccccf4c4f.jpg (66.28 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
Hmm..Colour suggests bronze?

Looks like bronze to me. There is a guy in the UK who posts on Instagram who does some amazing work using a torch that puts the flux in the flame. Seems to be really popular over there for for custom motorcycles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gnabgib

admin wrote:Looks like bronze to me. There is a guy in the UK who posts on Instagram who does some amazing work using a torch that puts the flux in the flame. Seems to be really popular over there for for custom motorcycles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean Oxy torch? How to do...And get the 'Stack of dimes'? If gas torch, why, when tig should get a better result?
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

If I'm not mistaken the flux technique is called vapor-flux. I did a heap of welding with it years ago making motorcycle accessories, clip-on handlebars, carriers, crash bars etc. We linished and polished all the steel tube components first, then used vapor-flux with Oxy-Acetylene and Bronze filler. We could get a real neat stack-of-dimes look, essentially using the same application technique as TIG with aluminium. The flame burns extremely bright because of the flux vapor, which is mixed in to the Acetylene gas line.
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
gnabgib

TRACKRANGER wrote:If I'm not mistaken the flux technique is called vapor-flux. I did a heap of welding with it years ago making motorcycle accessories, clip-on handlebars, carriers, crash bars etc. We linished and polished all the steel tube components first, then used vapor-flux with Oxy-Acetylene and Bronze filler. We could get a real neat stack-of-dimes look, essentially using the same application technique as TIG with aluminium. The flame burns extremely bright because of the flux vapor, which is mixed in to the Acetylene gas line.
Ah, interesting...But what/where is the advantage over plain ol' TIG?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Oxy torch is preferred when heat isn't an issue because the whole process is more gradual, not short and SHARP like tig that results in hardness sometimes
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Yes, Mike's spot on. It was a lot more controllable.
Most of the gear we manufactured was then chromed. The result was that you couldn't see how the parts were joined together. With 'artisitc' application of the bronze, after chroming they appeared to be one single component

(And also, this was in the 70's - hardly anybody had a TIG welder in those days!)
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Groovy
gnabgib

Ok, I see it all much more clearly now. Thanks
CanMoulder
    Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:02 pm

we use a Silicon Bronze or Aluminum Bronze welding rod sometimes if we are trying to add a softer pad
that is what it looks like to me . Tig weld

i'm going to have to look for that youtube video sounds cool
d.smith
    Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:14 am

yep looks like braizing, seen it done a lot on bikes. +1 to the guy on instagram overseas that does braizing. _kamfab or something