General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
ttreb4
    Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am

I have been thinking of building a canoe trailer to carry 10 canoes. I was unsure of what diameter and thickness of square tubing to get for the arms that will hold the canoes. I have searched the internet and haven't really found any solid information. I would think 1 1/2 by .120 wall would be plenty strong but I was also thinking that maybe I could go a little thinner wall .078 to save some weight. I would appreciate any input.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Hi ttreb4
How heavy are the canoes?
Are you intending to brace (triangulate) the arms?
How many arms will support each canoe? E.g. one at each end? Several along the length?

At any rate, unless you are bracing the arms, I certainly wouldn't go less than .125" wall thickness, depending on how many arms support each unit.

You might consider lighter gauge tubing for middle section supports though.

Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc

When I was in college many moons ago, I took Canoeing as a PhysEd class. The school had an 8-canoe trailer, and since I was the only guy in class with a pickup I got tasked to tow the canoes to the lake which was our practice area. Over the course of the semester, I got to know that trailer pretty well, and here's how I remember it. Each canoe was supported on 2 arms, probably 1/6-ish of the way from each end. The arms were made of 1.5" square tube. Wall thickness unknown since the ends were capped with a piece of probably 1/4" stock which extended vertically above the arm to provide a stop for the canoe. Each of the arms was gusseted by a 30-60-90 (or so) triangle of about 3/16" steel, extending about half way out the arm. The verticals to which the arms were mounted were 3" square tube, as was the rest of the frame which held the running gear. The tongue was rather long and the coupler to axle distance was quite long, making the trailer a real easy one to back. I don't remember exactly what the tiedown system was, but it seems like it was some kind of nylon strap rigging.

Hope this helps,
LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
ttreb4
    Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am

The canoes are 17 - 20 feet in length with two bars about 8 feet apart. a front bar will be about 4 feet in from the front end of the canoe and a second bar supporting the back end of the canoe about 4 feet from the end of the canoe. Canoes weigh approx. 85 lbs. There will be a main pole that is 2" square tubing at each end. that main poles are braced and tied together. I had planned on welding the 1 1/2 in tubing to a 3X4X1/4 plate and then securing the plate to the main pole using 2 U-bolts. (one at the top of the plate and one at the bottom). This will allow the bars to be adjustable to accommodate various size canoes. Each bar will extend out 35 inches from the center plate. Each bar will have a "D" ring in the middle and one on each end to allow for securing the canoe.

LDBTX
That's very similar to what I had planned on doing. I really was just wondering how thick of metal for the 1 1/2 square tubing to support the weight of the canoes without bending.

[quote="ttreb4" ...
LDBTX
That's very similar to what I had planned on doing. I really was just wondering how thick of metal for the 1 1/2 square tubing to support the weight of the canoes without bending.[/quote]

Regrettably, that's the one parameter I don't know. Personally, if I was building it, I'd go with 0.125" wall. As Tom Lipton says, "Nothing built too strong ever broke".

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch