General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

A customer asked me to weld some ferrite pieces from some kind of transformer core. Is this even possible? what process would one use? Filler?

Thanks
Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Eldon,
I've always been under the impression that the ceramic ferrite core in a transformer is the same material as a magnet is made of. If it can be welded I have no clue as to how or with what. Maybe super glue. :)

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Eldon,

If it's the same type of ferrite material that's used in electronic chokes and around cables to minimize interference, it would seem to be some kind of pressed powder. I can't say for sure because I've never experimented with a failed piece, but I've got a hunch that once there's a physical break in the material, the path for the lines of EMF is broken and even if it's glued back together, it wouldn't do its job.

ldb
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

There's also a ferrite iron. It's a crystalline structured pure iron that holds a stable field when current is applied to a coil
around it.

If it's iron ferrite I'd bet silver solder would be a good choice to bond pieces together.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I glue ferrite pieces together with epoxy.
I typically use two E-cores and install a wire bobbin in the middle.
I shim the two E-cores with sheets of paper until I'm able to tune the core just right.

My primary application for this technique is in the manufacture of high power acoustic weapons.
These devices were originally used by the military for riot control, but my purpose is to protect property.
More information on this topic can be found here. http://www.amazing1.com/ultrasonics.html
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

The stuff is definitely not weldable. At least not in any conventional way. My tig will spark the hi freq but won't strike an arc on it. I started the arc on a piece of steel and walked it over to the ferrite which promptly exploded into powder near the arc.
Thanks for the replies.

Cheers
Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid