General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Trapperdude464
    Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:56 pm

I'm pretty sure you all had a thread similar to this one I just can't find it so anyhow my worst was my first structural steel test I was coin thoverhead part and I started feeling a warm side I quit welding flipped my hood up to see that carhart fr is flammable it was slowly burning and I took my glove and patted out and went on welding the instructor had the best look on his face I had ever seen
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Trapperdude464 wrote:I'm pretty sure you all had a thread similar to this one I just can't find it so anyhow my worst was my first structural steel test I was coin thoverhead part and I started feeling a warm side I quit welding flipped my hood up to see that carhart fr is flammable it was slowly burning and I took my glove and patted out and went on welding the instructor had the best look on his face I had ever seen
Trapperdude, I think this is a great story, but I got a bit lost trying to follow it. Could you put a couple of commas or full stops in it?

Also, I didn't understand the words: "I was coin thoverhead part" and "that carhart fr is flammable".

Please don't think I'm trying to put you off, that's definitely not the case, I'm interested in the story, especially as it had obviously great appeal to the welding instructor! Just clarify a little bit for me to get a better handle on the story.

And if I didn't mention before, welcome to this great forum. Everyone's pretty easy going here.

Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Trapperdude464
    Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:56 pm

Sorry about that and i don't think it at all that you were rude I think everyone I've talked to on here so far has been nice and laid back.I'm also not very good with punctuations or language I was horrible with language in school welding is what I majored in.I meant to say that I was doing my overhead part of my test and that my carhart fr shirt that was supposed to be flame retardant caught alot of hot slag from my 7018.

I am sorry about my poor literature skills I do assure you tho my welding is a lot better lol.

Thanks for the comment and again sorry about the confusion
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

My old Carhart bibs were so worn if you looked at them wrong they would catch on fire. Went through many pair of them down through the years - I'd wear them till about the only thing without burned holes was the buckles. Sniff, sniff - what that smell - hmmm my right leg is getting warm - don't break the arc, only about an inch to go ---- done. Raise the hood and sure enough the right leg looks like a wild fire. Put out the fire and light up another rod.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I was doing an overhead once at school, and got a "spark" lodged in the head gear of my helmet, just above my forehead. I thought I'd tough it out, and wait for it to stop burning.... But it didn't stop. Off came the gear, and put some water on. Turned out to be about a 3mm ball of slag, would have gotten in deep if I didn't stop.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

I was doing an overhead during a welding course.
Leather hood, overalls done up tight to the neck.
Not tight enought, a solid spark went down the front of the collar, ran down my front burning holes in the tee shirt under the overalls, burned through my jocks, singed the pubic hair (at this point it had my complete attention) ran down my leg and burned through my sock lodging in my boot.
Saint Vitas had nothing on me at that point.........
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

ex framie wrote:...Saint Vitas had nothing on me at that point.........
:lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)

I wonder how many fully understand THAT reference!

:lol:

Steve S