General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
arlake
    Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Hey,

I'm a welding student, I wear proper protection. However, I recently plasma cut without cutting shades. My left eye is killing me!!! I'm pretty sure it's not any foreign material, since my eyes aren't red at all, just stinging. I just want some affirmation that it's probably arc burning that's irritating my eye. I can't afford a doctor, and I don't qualify for this free health care people talk about... So unless I start losing my vision or my eye falls out I'm not going to a doctor.

It started on Wednesday morning, after plasma cutting. At first it was like I had something in my eyes, but nothing was there and my eyes weren't red, the first day both eyes hurt. Now, it's just my left eye, it feels like stinging pain when air gets on it (The fan in the bedroom), and if I leave my eye open watching TV or reading, it starts up again. It hurts so bad it makes me cry! Well, my eye just waters a lot :P

I'm wondering, is this what it feels like to be a dumbass? How long should it last, and is shade 5 enough for plasma cutting?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

arlake,
First off welcome to the forum, when your eyes feel better feel free to use the introduction page.

I'll try to answer your questions. 1. Yes, that's one way to feel like a dumbass. 2. It depends on how bad you flashed yourself as to how long it hurts. 3. Yes shade five is enough to plasma cut.

Now you get my advise. Stupid's supposed to hurt, it keeps you from doing it again.

Now to trying to find you some relief. Have someone check and make sure there's nothing in your eye and if that checks out, wear sunglasses and use Clear Eyes, Visine, or something similar. Avoid sunlight and glare from the TV or computer.

Len
P.S. I'm not a doctor, but I've been dumb enough to get welders flash, albeit long ago.
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Welcome, and get well arlake.

Is it worth having a doctor check you out? I'm always fine to 'soldier on' with other injuries, but eyes...you can't be too careful.

Kym
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

quiet very dim rooms,much meditation on(stupid is as stupid does) Time will heal, eye drops help.
Many personal stupid experiences.

Quote from Braehill

"Now to trying to find you some relief. Have someone check and make sure there's nothing in your eye and if that checks out, wear sunglasses and use Clear Eyes, Visine, or something similar. Avoid sunlight and glare from the TV or computer."
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

There's not much a doctor will do for welding flash burns except take your money.
Stye ointment really helps. It's thick and goopy but will lube the eye while sleeping.
Cold compresses and wet tea bags also help. Stay in the dark and take it easy.
It's like a sunburn on your eyeball. The burnt layer has to shed off before the itching subsides.
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

I'm not a welder but have had quite a few experiences with light sensitivity I found the best relief other than drops was a warm compress or bath with the eyes submerged.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

That's the worst piece of advice for welding flash I've ever heard.
If you have no knowledge of the painful subject why would you recommend he go stick his head in a bucket of hot water?
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Tom Osselton wrote:I'm not a welder but have had quite a few experiences with light sensitivity I found the best relief other than drops was a warm compress or bath with the eyes submerged.
Like warm water makes a sunburn feel better?
I am with"Unread postby Coldman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:58 pm
That's the worst piece of advice for welding flash I've ever heard.
If you have no knowledge of the painful subject why would you recommend he go stick his head in a bucket of hot water?"
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Coldman wrote:That's the worst piece of advice for welding flash I've ever heard.
If you have no knowledge of the painful subject why would you recommend he go stick his head in a bucket of hot water?
LMAO!

There are tons of "old wives' tales", but only two real solutions...

Grin and bear it,

or,

See your optometrist. Tell them what's up, and they'll see you right away (or as soon as possible).

Steve S
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

I did a vocational welding course earlier this year that included plasma.

The old instructor guy recommended we just wear tinted safety glasses for plasma cutting. I wore these while practising cuts on some very thin carbon steel during the classes.

At home, now armed with my own plasma, I had a bit of a think and decided to go with a full helmet instead. I cut up some thicker stuff (6mm carbon steel) yesterday for the first time and I am now damn glad I went with the welding helmet choice. Flash is one thing, but the occasional ricocheting flecks of hot metal were what really got my attention. Safety glasses be damned!

Kym
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Tom Osselton wrote:I'm not a welder but have had quite a few experiences with light sensitivity I found the best relief other than drops was a warm compress or bath with the eyes submerged.
Quick! Someone find my bullshit card!

It's obvious that you have never even experienced a flash burn.
Picture a bad sunburn on your eyeballs. You wanna rethink warm water now?
Get your compress as cold as possible. I put damp face cloths in the freezer.
The cold not only numbs but also reduces any swelling.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Hey OP !!! Are you sure you didn't watch the Democratic debate and see Hillary Clintons mug, and thats what did it? I usually have to pour boiling bleach into my eyes when I see that bitch. I am already hard of hearing so I don't notice her cackle(laugh) too much but the nasally voice makes me want to drink moonshine to excess. Be careful.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Yeah warm water is definitely a no go....cold as you can, but truly like others not much you can do although I find the visine drops work well.

I went to a class a few months back showing some of the latest advantages of plasma...we were suggested a 10 shade lens, although the 5 glasses were good for oxy acetylene cutting.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Shade 5 for plasma cutting.

I don't see how anyone can plasma cut without shades.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Plasma cutters are available from about 20 amps (thin sheetmetal) to 1000 amps (up to 6-1/4" thick SS). Shade 5 will not cover them all. Here is the shade recommendation chart directly from a Hypertherm operators manual.

I have never gotten arc flash from plasma cutting in my 38 years of working with it. Only once got flash from welding (an all nighter replacing the front clip on my stock car for a race the next day....needless to say I was not able to drive the car!)

Jim Colt Hypertherm

shade chart.jpg
shade chart.jpg (37.27 KiB) Viewed 1037 times