Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
metaldreams
    Sun May 24, 2015 7:25 pm

I have scoured the internet and unable to fond an answer to my question. My dial regulator broke and I have a flow meter type with the ball that floats. Problem is when I turn on the tank the ball rapidly rises to the top and hits the glass. Is this ok? with my dial regulator I just backed it out after each use so didn't get a pressure spike. Sorry for the basic question but couldn't figure out if this was normal
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Crack it slowly at first to avoid problems but the ball will pop up on that type of regulator and that is normal. You just don't want it slamming to the top. You may have noticed the dial flowmeter spiking too, same deal. They are going from atmospheric pressure to thousands of PSI after all.

The floating ball indicators are usually more consistent in their read out so you probably made the right choice. Remember to rtfm so you know where on the ball to read. Most read at the bottom of the ball, but not all.

Welcome to the forum :)

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
metaldreams

Thanks so much. So should have the flow meter valve "open" when I first crack the tank open or should it be in the "closed" position before cracking the tank? Or does it matter? Thanks again
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Doesn't really matter, it's compressing the existing air in the gauge/system. You are only allowing whatever your secondary pressure max into the flowmeter. Usually 25 to 80psi (Not thousands of psi) which is reduced by the primary side of the gauge before entering the flowmeter.
AHP flowmeters are 50psi. I have a few Victor flowmeters that are 25 and 80psi.
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

That makes sense. There would be way more non-linearity in the flow rates the way I was thinking.

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
metaldreams

thanks again everyone