General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
fabcor
    Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:11 pm

Hey,
Need some help, trying to run Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP off 8000 Briggs and Stratton generator. When plugged into shop(220/240) gives me the capability to weld 5/16, solid wire .30. When hooked up to generator (220/240) only allowing 10 guage. Called Lincoln today and they say the generator is plenty big. Anyone else have this same problem? Any help would be appreciated, thanks
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Sounds to me like something is wired wrong for the 240 volt plug adaptor being used to hook the two together.

Your welder is only sensing an input of 120 volts so it's showing limited output for that.

I'm guessing the generator either has a twist lock or 4 hole plug and needed the adaptor - this is where I would look for a problem.

Use a multimeter and check for 240 volts on the end that the welder plugs into.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Fat Fred
    Wed May 16, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi - I'm new to welding (at 47 years old), and to the forum. I recently completed a fast track welding program at the local community college, and passed the aws 3g mig certification, and 1g stick (didn't have the confidence for 3g that day). Doing tig later.

It's time to get a job now, and I purchased a power mig 210 mp to practice, and hopefully to use for projects, etc. in the future. Meanwhile, I've been doing a little work for my friends to gain experience and stay tuned up until I find a job. I have already run into a couple of situations where there was no sufficient power source available, and I was hoping you guys might be able to recommend a generator that will give me the ability to get full use of this machine without toasting it. Any attempt to point me in the right direction is appreciated.

What specs should I be looking for in such a generator?