Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
niftyweld
    Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:37 pm

Filled a couple holes in a backbone and ground them down smooth. The sharp point on the tungsten dulls fairly quickly. Now I want to fill the small creases/ crevices in the weld. What's the best way? Same amperage or less?
:?: :?: :?:
Looking for good deals in Welding Supplies
thespian
    Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Without more info I would guess you are welding steel, and you don't have to have a razor sharp tungsten.
Thespian is just an old username I have used forever , my name is Bill
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I don't sharpen until the arc wanders at weld current. I don't have time or inclination to run to the grinder every time it's not perfect, and a blunt/crapped up tungsten will still weld fine if you're practiced in what to expect.

This is not a suggestion for a newbie, of course, as you want to take all variables out of the equation until you understand what's going on. However, time and practice will teach you how messed up your tungsten can be before you have to fix it.

Steve S
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

If your tungsten is dulling quickly you may have your post flow set too short. Are your tungstens turning color?

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:I don't sharpen until the arc wanders at weld current. I don't have time or inclination to run to the grinder every time it's not perfect, and a blunt/crapped up tungsten will still weld fine if you're practiced in what to expect.

This is not a suggestion for a newbie, of course, as you want to take all variables out of the equation until you understand what's going on. However, time and practice will teach you how messed up your tungsten can be before you have to fix it.

Steve S
^ this. I'm glad somebody else will preach this as well. Run scratch start/lift arc and you learn to live with it. If it melts the metal, weld it. Except I like it fresh for a root pass. Helps to buy a few dozen too and sharpen em all and keep them with you.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Yep, I am in the club of don't go to the grinder until it pisses me off.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

After you push the limits for a few times it becomes clear not only what you can get away with but also you learn where your personal limits are for quality and appearance. Just pick the places you try this based on how critical the job really is. If appearance is important than don't cut corners. If someone's saftey down he road is involved don't cut corners. If it's a pipe with 20 PSI water giver hell and don't let it drip till after you leave!
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

DLewis0289 wrote:Yep, I am in the club of don't go to the grinder until it pisses me off.

I'm in agreement with this unless I'm doing sanitary or xray work. I think everyone should learn scratch start...
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

The good old days, Heli-arc (helium), scratch start, gas valve on the torch and transformer welder.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla