General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

im planning on making 3 hammers, and 2 for other people. i want to do as jody did, 1 with a soft surface (probably silicon bronze) and ill also use the same dimensions, the 1" round stock for handle and 2" for the head of the hammer, so my question as you can see in the title, is what should i make it out of, i was thinking stainless, but its fairly expensive to get online, and i dont think any shops will sell me only like 1 1/2' of 2" roundstock and 2-3' of 1". so if i make the hammer out of carbon steel, it should be good right? ill weld it w/ 70-s2 bevel the handle for more penetration, but my only worry is that it might rust after awhile, if i polish the hammer with a sanding disc/flap disc it should be fine for protecting it from rust right? i dont want to put paint/varnish (or whatever) on it because i like the look of just polished steel. (the hammer wont really be used in damp/humid areas, so it should be fine, right?)

thanks for your help

regards

noah
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Out of boredom at work one day I took some emerey cloth and removed all the rust from my Estwing hammer and then sprayed DW40 on it and it hasn't rusted again in over 8 years...very suprising but true. I won't comment as to what metal to use for your project but SS anything is expensive.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

If I understand correctly, the silicon bronze on the face of the hammer provides a "soft" striking surface to avoid leaving hammer strike marks, for instance. Correct? So if that's the case, then the hammer beneath the bronze is just the delivery mechanism, and carbon steel is likely the most efficient/effective way to deliver it.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Least honorable

Artie F. Emm wrote:If I understand correctly, the silicon bronze on the face of the hammer provides a "soft" striking surface to avoid leaving hammer strike marks, for instance. Correct? So if that's the case, then the hammer beneath the bronze is just the delivery mechanism, and carbon steel is likely the most efficient/effective way to deliver it.
Exactly. I plan also on using the other face, that is just carbon steel if I need to hit stuff harder. But yeah, carbon steel seems like the better choice, but to buy what I need online it would cost like 200$ with shipping so I'll call around a few metal shops see if they got some pieces lying around for sale, but I did last week and none of them had any

Noah
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Least honorable wrote: But yeah, carbon steel seems like the better choice, but to buy what I need online it would cost like 200$ with shipping so I'll call around a few metal shops see if they got some pieces lying around for sale, but I did last week and none of them had any

Noah
Just thinking, but it might be cheaper to have someone near a Metal Supermarket down here in the USA to ship you some remnants in a box, and declare them as "scrap metal" or something similar for customs. Useful scrap, but still scrap...

That, and the fun fact that you can pack anything in a flat rate box as long as it closes fully and is under ~70 pounds.
I've seen people ship a large flat rate box full of ingots of lead, much to the annoyance of the postal carrier!
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
Least honorable

hey_allen wrote: Just thinking, but it might be cheaper to have someone near a Metal Supermarket down here in the USA to ship you some remnants in a box, and declare them as "scrap metal" or something similar for customs. Useful scrap, but still scrap...

That, and the fun fact that you can pack anything in a flat rate box as long as it closes fully and is under ~70 pounds.
I've seen people ship a large flat rate box full of ingots of lead, much to the annoyance of the postal carrier!
got any idea how i would find one willing to do that or get into contact with them? any supermarkets you reccomend?

noah
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I found this on Ebay Canada:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nitronic-60-Stai ... SwP~tW4xAJ

I know you're looking for mild steel, but this example shows that there should be a Canadian provider. This example is $20 shipped. Ebay.ca also shows US providers that will ship to Canada, but I don't recall how the VAT works: is that on the shipper, or the receiver?
Dave
aka "RTFM"