Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
CentralOhioSteve
    Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:58 am

Obviously new to this forum. Here's my story.

I've had a welder for 35 years and only used it several times, poorly at that! That's something I want to improve on because I like amateur gunsmithing and it sure would come in handy on a lot of projects.

I bought a MIG welder about a year ago and have been more successful with it. After watching a select few of Jody's videos I have improved on my technique, or lack thereof. I have since purchased the entire library. I just retired Jan.1, 2016 so I have lots of time to work on it.

I'm seriously considering buying a mid priced TIG welder so I can weld aluminum and stainless. I have spent many hours reviewing web pages, reading specifications, and making all sorts of comparisons. Bottom line is I don't want to spend what a top brand US made machine costs and I'm leery of the Chinese products. I'm considering the HTP Invertig 221. Should I be looking at a water cooled unit or is that overkill for a hobbyist?

Thanks for any input!
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Steve.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. For light or even more rigorous hobby work you don't need water cooled anything. 200 amps or less use an air cooled goth is what I've heard and hat covers most everything that you will be doing.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Farmwelding wrote:Welcome to the forum. For light or even more rigorous hobby work you don't need water cooled anything. 200 amps or less use an air cooled goth is what I've heard and hat covers most everything that you will be doing.

Right on the money +1
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
monte_santa_cruz
    Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:36 pm

As a fairly new weldor myself, I can tell you that all the internet research and reading will only get you so far. (I know, I did it too). At some point you just have to get a machine and start burning metal. All the reading and viewing I did certainly helped but NOTHING compared to just doing it. And failing. And doing it again. And sucking a little less each time. There are a ton on machine options out here. Most of which will work just fine until much later in your progression.
Just burn lots of metal. You WILL learn and get better. If I can do it, anyone can. Just finished my first paying project and it covered all of the equipment I've invested in so far, including my mig welder.
I'm no pipeliner but I am proof that an old dog can learn a new trick.
Just do it!!