General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Swainda
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:36 pm

I have a Delta model 901000 steel truck tool box that I need to cut three inches out of the middle to get it to fit in the bed of my truck. Does anyone have any suggestions on what parts to weld in what order and what direction to avoid warping?
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

I don't think it will matter on order. You really need to focus on heat input and arc time. Theres a lot of flat material there. Weld from the corner 2 inches or so, then the next 90 till your at 4. Then go opposite then middle and so on till your done. I would recommend a backing strip to keep things in order till it cools.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I would use lots of internal bracing. Even if it means building a wood frame inside it. Tack the outside . Then I would stitch weld the inside first that will pull it tight to the framework / bracing. Weld the outside next then pull out enough bracing to finish welding the inside. Is it steel or aluminum? Make sure you give it lots of time to cool between tacks and stitch welds. The stitch weld part will take the longest but the more time you take getting it braced and stitched the better your end result. Used to work with a guy who was a master at building custom aluminum ones that hang down for things like wreckers that was the proscess.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Poland308 wrote:I would use lots of internal bracing. Even if it means building a wood frame inside it. Tack the outside . Then I would stitch weld the inside first that will pull it tight to the framework / bracing. Weld the outside next then pull out enough bracing to finish welding the inside. Is it steel or aluminum? Make sure you give it lots of time to cool between tacks and stitch welds. The stitch weld part will take the longest but the more time you take getting it braced and stitched the better your end result. Used to work with a guy who was a master at building custom aluminum ones that hang down for things like wreckers that was the proscess.
I like that method as well, be prepared for it to possibly spring open once cut. I'd brace it first then cut.... You mention it is steel so it may not want to move as much as he diamond plate alum would.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB